<b>“Give your mind the same attention you give your penis.”</b>
1. Men account for 79% of all suicides in the United States each year.
The most at-risk? Those aged 25-54 — the very same group that is the least likely to seek treatment or ask for help.
2. Why? Well, because a lot of people still see mental health disorders as “unmanly signs of weakness.“
Which is totally stupid. Just so we’re clear.
3. That’s where Dr. Rich Mahogany, Man Therapist, comes in.
Dr. Rich and ManTherapy.org is a bad ass collaboration between Denver-based advertising agency Cactus, the Office of Suicide Prevention at the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, and the Carson J Spencer Foundation, a Colorado-based suicide prevention nonprofit organization aimed at dismantling the barriers between men and their mental health, and it’s working.
4. Aside from funny videos, mantherapy.org offers up a super interactive web experience.
5. Visitors to Dr. Rich’s virtual office can access self-assessment tools, DIY resources to help fine tune your mental health at home, and of course Dr. Rich-approved man therapists near you.
He has a point, guys.
6. Aussie men are in luck too — turns out Dr. Rich Mahogany has a brother from another mother down under.
See Dr. Brian Ironwood in action HERE.
7. As Dr. Rich says, “You can’t fix your mental health with duct tape,” but manly breathing techniques are worth a try.
Need inspiration from those who have been there? Check out these survivor stories.
If you are struggling with suicidal thoughts please seek immediate help:
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA): 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Samaritans (UK): 08457 90 90 90
Suicide Prevention (Aus): 13 11 14
Read more: http://www.buzzfeed.com/morganshanahan/this-suicide-prevention-site-is-really-funny-and-its-working