<b>Monday night’s Brooklyn Nets and Cleveland Cavaliers game at Barclays Center drew protesters speaking out against Eric Garner’s death.</b> Britain’s royal couple were also scheduled to attend.
1. LeBron James wore an “I Can’t Breathe” shirt before Monday’s game at Barclays Center, joining other professional athletes in protesting the death of Eric Garner.
2. Fellow Cleveland Cavalier Kyrie Irving was among several other players showing his support for protesters.
4. Nets players, including Kevin Garnett and Deron Williams, joined the Cavs star in wearing the shirt.
5. Jay Z, one of the owners of the Nets, posed with the players.
6. Outside, a crowd gathered as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were expected to arrive to their first NBA game.
First sign aimed at Will and Kate at the #royalshutdown protest. #RoyalsInUSA
8. It was the latest show of protest by professional athletes against the deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of police.
Bulls star @drose doesn’t talk after game about #ICantBreathe shirt http://t.co/yWSCIJnCNC (h/t @abc7chicago) #NBA
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver released a statement after the Chicago Bulls’ Derrick Rose wore an “I Can’t Breathe” shirt over the weekend.
“I respect Derrick Rose and all of our players for voicing their personal views on important issues but my preference would be for players to abide by our oncourt attire rules,” Silver said.