We all need to sleep. If we didn’t sleep, we’d die. The number of hours we need per night is always up in the air, but the fact of the matter is that those who don’t get enough sleep are usually pretty miserable.
While it seems like a pretty simple activity, so many things happen while we sleep. Don’t believe me? Check these out.
1. Humans spend an average of 25 years sleeping over the course of a lifetime.
2. Parents of newborn babies miss out on roughly 6 months of sleep during the baby’s first 2 years of life.
3. The record for the longest period without sleep is 11 days.
4. Sleeping less than 7 hours each night reduces life expectancy.
5. Some deaf people sign in their sleep.
6. Lack of sleep can cause people to gain about 2 pounds a week.
7. It’s impossible to sneeze in your sleep.
8. Work hours are so insane in Japan that it’s normal for people to fall asleep on the job.
9. If you have trouble getting out of bed every morning, you’re suffering from something called dysania.
10. People sleep differently depending on the moon’s phases. We tend to sleep best under a new moon, and worst under a full moon.
11. Tibetan monks have been known to sleep standing up.
12. Pilots surveyed in the U.K. have admitted to falling asleep while flying passenger planes.
13. Believing that you’ve slept well improves performance, even if you didn’t get that much sleep.
14. Memories take hold better during sleep.
15. John Lennon used to sleep in an old coffin from time to time.
16. Studies show that students at schools with later start times perform better.
17. You burn more calories while sleeping than you do while watching television.
18. Sleep deprivation can impair judgment and slow reaction time.
19. Neuroscientists believe that babies don’t dream for the first few years of their lives.
20. Women experience more nightmares than men.
21. When in complete darkness, most people adjust to a 48-hour cycle: 12 hours of sleep, and 36 hours of activity.
22. Contrary to popular belief, the likelihood of eating even one spider in your lifetime while sleeping is slim to none.
23. About 8% of Americans sleep naked.
24. The average person in France sleeps 8.83 hours a night — the most in the developed world.
25. Morphine got its name from Morpheus, the God of Sleep, because morphine has a tendency to make people lethargic.
26. A baby’s brain can use up to 50% of its glucose in a day, which explains why they need so much sleep.
27. People who suffer from migraines, heart conditions, and sleep deprivation often experience nightmares.
(via Fact Slides)
I bet you didn’t know all of that! Now you’ll have a better appreciation for what’s going on while you’re sleeping.
Read more: http://www.viralnova.com/weird-sleep-facts/